Saturday, March 14, 2015

Almost done

So I am writing this entry since right now I am in Las Vegas PICU trying to stay awake during this 30 hour shift. So I am almost done with medical school, as of today I have 5 weeks lefts and although it still feels like an eternity I am so excited to be done. 
Well, I had to do an either a PICU, ICU or NICU rotation as part of my required rotations. I am going into OBGYN so common sense would say that I should do ICU since it is more related to my field and I would learn things that are more likely to use. But NO... I told my self "it would be kind of cool to experience PICU for one month so that I can get to see and do things that I am more likely never get the chance to do, after all its medical school and this is my chance to experience things". So I signed up for a PICU rotation in University of Las Vegas. I was able to stand with Tammy's aunt who lives about 15 minutes from the hospital. I figured I will probable work monday through Friday 8-9  hours at most each day and maybe an occassional Saturday. So I show up the first day of the rotation about 5 days ago to discovered that I have been scheduled to work an average of 90 hours per week. This means everyday of the week with two of those days being 30 hour shifts. I nearly peed my pants. I was told that I was being treated as a Sub-intern and that it was the way it is. I could not believe it, I almost died. I guess I was so surprised that I have not had a chance to feel depressed, I am mostly trying to be happy and just endure each day. 
After my first time doing a 30 hour shift (6 am day 1 to about 11 am day 2); We were rounding around 10 am when one of the residents I was working with said that she had to present her patients first since she had to go to lecutures from 10-2 pm. So immediatelly one of the attending (kind of an arrogant and self centered doctore) looked at me and said "thats a great idea, make sure you get the dirrection so you can join her for lecture after you present your patients". I reactively said "I am post call" which means I have been without slep for 30 hours, I have a headached and I can barerly function. TO MY SURPRISE he got really upset and said I should not come up with that kind of CRAP and that it is just an excuse and that I should be eager to learn all I could. Of course in the medical education system I am, there was no option but to nod my head and basically kiss butt. Well, of course I did not stay any later and the residents basically say I should not stay and that if he asked they would say I was there. SO this is a story I had to record to remember the kind of slave I was during my last few weeks as a student. Most of my classmates are taking easy rotations, skipping as many days as they can and barerly doing any thing. But no I am here just working like there is no tomorrow. 
At least I will be able to take the weekend of March 20 so that if I match I can be home to find out where we will be going for the next 4 years. 
The funny thing about all this is that we have been able to speak in sacrament at our ward and when I though I was going to be able to work on it each night, now all I am doing is sleeping every chance I get. I must thank my Heavenly Father for the good spirti I have felt that regardless that I am super tired and somewhat upset that I have to be soo long, I feel a sense of hapiness and a positive attitude. After this rotation I hope to complete a rotation in Pathology in Cedar city and from what I understand i may be more of a self directed rotation, some slide reviews, in other words not nearly as hard as this one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment