Thursday, May 30, 2013

Stormy Weather


The whole time we've lived here in the Midwest there has been abnormal weather for this area. Last summer was abnormally dry. All the lawns died and even our little pine tree in the front yard bit the dust. (They don't have sprinklers here, there's no need for them). This spring has been the opposite. I was told it has been twice as wet as normal. It seems like we've had storms at least four days a week since the beginning of April. Thunderstorms here are not like the storms I experienced in Utah. These storms are loud and fierce. They shake the house and are literally thunderous. There was a tornado warning the second week we lived in Kirksville. A tornado warning means there is an actual tornado on the ground. I will never forget the look of the sky that day, so mean and fierce looking, I've never seen anything like it.  We've been lucky to not have any other tornadoes. Today however, I was pretty sure there was a tornado raging outside my home. I woke up from a nap due to things blowing around and hitting the house. The power was out so I had no way to check to see if there was a tornado warning. (You can't hear the sirens at our house when it's stormy) It was really scary. I called Adrian and he told me the tornado siren at the school had gone off, so I yanked the kids from their naps and hurried downstairs. Needless to say it was just straight line winds. I will not miss the storms of the Midwest. Levi even gets scared of the loud thunder and pounding rain. He spent the night in bed with us a few days ago. There's just something that makes me anxious knowing there is a possibility of a tornado with these storms. Only 3 more weeks until our move back to Utah!!

Here's a link of some video of the storm damage today. I live only a couple blocks from the damaged businesses and church.

May 30, 2013 Storm

Here's a photo the news crew got today. I'm no weather man, but that looks like a tornado to me. I probably would have peed my pants if I saw this.


1 comment:

  1. That is so scary! I used to live in Kansas on tornado ally (for about 7 years when I was a kid) and I was always so terrified when the tornado warnings were going. I'm glad you guys aren't going to be there much longer. There have been so many scary storms out there this year!

    ReplyDelete